Locally owned and focused.

To enjoy all the features of our content download the App by clicking on the banner above.


Waimakariri Community Updates

Local news, Sports, Information, Events and much more...


Cup battles

The Waimak women’s team faced Coastal Spirit in the first round of the Kate Sheppard National Women’s Knockout Cup over the weekend. In the previous weekend they had been beaten by the league leaders 6-1, so it was always going to be a tough ask. But Cup ties can often bring out the best in teams, and so it was for 70 minutes of the match. Waimak denied attempt after attempt by Coastal Spirit attack, with some outstanding saves from Annie Foote in goal, and some well-timed challenges from the full backs. And they were not without chances of their own, with Lucrettia Taylor almost getting the better of the Coastal defence, and Lily Gerrard going close on a couple of occasions.

The two teams went into the halftime break still tied nil all. The match continued in the same vein in the second half, with Waimak countering on the break, but having to defend hard without possession. Coastal eventually found the decider from a scramble in the box from a corner on the 70th minute mark. The final score 1-0 to Coastal and they advance to the next round. An unlucky result for the Waimak side who battled well.

The Waimak men’s team faced Mainland Premier side Cashmere Technical in the English Cup at home on Kendall Park. It was only a couple of minutes into the match when Cashmere Technical found the back of the net and went one up. However, this didn’t deter the Waimak side, who are currently unbeaten in their league. They worked their way back into the match with some good build up play, and earned themselves a corner. The ball was lofted in by Kane Fraser and in the ensuing melee, Bailey McLeary pounced and squeezed the ball into the net to tie the match up 1-1.

Waimak definitely gained confidence from the goal and began to even up the possession stakes and win the midfield battle. Midway through the half Kian Grenfell found himself one on one with the keeper and made no mistake in giving Waimak a 2-1 lead over the perennial MPL league winners. However, a defensive lapse in the dying minutes of the first half saw Cashmere Technical even it up heading in to halftime, 2-2.
The second half was another even battle and the match looked like it might have gone to penalties, until Cashmere Technical were awarded a penalty for what appeared to be a dive in the box. Tech converted the penalty to lead 3-2. Waimak pushed hard for an equaliser driving more players forward, but were punished on the break twice, and Cashmere Technical went on to win 5-2. The score line was definitely flattering for Tech, and it was unfortunate that a contentious decision had a major effect on what was a very competitive match.

What they are saying...